For years we prayed for this moment. Our hearts ached, our minds questioned, and our spirits sought the Lord. Yet I’m not sure we ever dreamed that just days before Christmas 2015 Melanie would be 39 weeks pregnant.
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love by which he loved us…showed us the immeasurable riches of his grace.
This excerpt from Ephesians 2 refers specifically to salvation, but we know that those same graces have been poured out onto our lives through the gift of this life, this little girl long-desired. She is our gift of grace, not by works so that we can’t boast. Please, friends, proclaim with us the graciousness of the Lord for bestowing on us this undeserved gift!
Let’s back up to the beginning of this year. As we look over my calendar there are dates speckled with doctor’s appointments and days to take fertility medication. We were nearing six months post-op (for endometriosis) and our chances of getting pregnant were dwindling. That crazy blizzard Sunday in February brought with it the possibility of adopting an unborn baby boy. We said yes and hit the ground running, completing a home study and securing a lawyer and buying a larger vehicle within about two week’s time. (In case you’re wondering, yes, that’s lightening-fast in the adoption world.) Despite all our efforts and the donations and support of our friends and family, the birth-mother made a different choice. The Lord picked us up from our disappointment and washed away our stunned sadness. Little did we know, just a couple weeks after that little boy was born, God had given us our own little girl.
And so, along with all of you, we wait with baited breath for the moment our grace-gift enters this world with lungs wailing praises to the Most High.
For the Mighty One has done great things for me and holy is his name. (Luke 1:49)
In case you’re wondering if we’ve done anything else other than expect our Little Girl this year…
- Kevin was reappointed as Senior Pastor of Monroe Free Methodist Church for his 2nd year
- Melanie became a Local Ministerial Candidate and is pursuing ordination
- Melanie completed a 225hr program to become a Registered Holy Yoga Instructor
- Kevin quiz mastered at Bible Quiz Finals and is Southern Michigan conference coordinator
- We attended Family Camp at Somerset Beach and FM General Conference in Orlando, FL
- Melanie spoke at Young Teen Camp at SBC
- We vacationed at Niagara-on-the-Lake in November and visited our WNY friends
- Kevin threw Melanie a 30th Birthday Party (and for the record, she’s totally cool with 30)
- We were privileged to participate in the work God is doing in our congregation. These stories could fill pages, but suffice it to say we love Monroe FMC and praise God for calling us here.
And with that we send you all our love and prayers,
Kevin & Melanie
For updates on our life, our ministry, and our family, keep reading along here: